Share Button

Irenie Ekkeshi was 12 when she stopped wearing glasses and switched to wearing contact lenses. It was a decision that, combined with bad luck and lack of information, finally made her lose sight in her right eye years later.
When Ekkeshi woke up with the tears flowing from her right eye in 2011, she did not give too much importance. She went to a pharmacy and bought a few drops for her eye assuming any infection she had would be gone in a few days, according to a BBC article.
But when the infection got worse and Ekklesia’s eye became sensitive to the light, he went to see a doctor see what really happened.
The diagnosis was Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), and the potential cause was shocking
The microorganism that causes AK is commonly found in water: tap water, sea water, and swimming pools.
Although his infection was rare, it was very serious.
“I was very surprised and scared since I had lost the vision in my right eye, ” Ekkeshi told the BBC. “It was like looking through a steam-covered bathroom mirror, I could see colors and shapes, but not much more.”
She had never been warned of the danger of water in contact lenses
She was wearing daily lenses, which doctors recommend because there is less risk of bacteria Accum not gone swimming or showering with them, but he quickly learned that even washing his hands without drying them completely can put someone at risk for AK.ulating in them.
His infection caused “unbearable” pain, so much that he had to quit his job. The doctors took months to control the infection. At that moment, Ekklesia’s cornea was healed.
Since that time, Ekkeshi has suffered two corneal transplants in his right eye. Unfortunately, things did not go well with any of the transplants, and Ekkeshi completely lost sight in that eye.

Six years have passed since the Ekkeshi infection began. According to the BBC, doctors say it is unlikely that he will ever regain vision in his right eye, which is now also eyelid drooping.
And while visual impairment has been a difficult transition for Ekkeshi, she is determined to raise awareness about this issue.
While she was struggling with her infection, Ekkeshi realized that none of her friends and family who also wear contact lenses were aware of the potential danger that water has to their users. He contacted the British Contact Lens Association (BCLA) and asked why the lens boxes had no labels with that warning.
There was no space for the warning in the box
The BCLA told Ekkeshi that there was no room for the warning in the box, so Ekkeshi took matters into his own hands and created the seal herself. The logo shows a symbol “Without Water”.
“At that time, the industry realized that it was serious and showed solidarity, we produce these labels without water that opticians could paste in boxes,” he told the BBC.
His campaign has spread to the United States, and his goal is to have the “No Water” graphic on all lens cases.
The simple message that Ekkeshi is trying to share with every user of contact lenses is that they never allow the lenses to come into contact with water. She hopes to save anyone like her from the devastating effects of a simple infection.
In addition to water, there are several other things that every contact user needs to be careful about.
Never, never do these things with your contacts:
According to Blaine Eye Clinic, you should never reuse the contact solution, leave the contact case wet, put your contacts on without washing your hands or neglect to wash your case. It should be washed once a week.
Share Button
http://mrhealthyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/eye.pnghttp://mrhealthyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/eye-150x150.pngMrHealthyPlanetHealthy
Irenie Ekkeshi was 12 when she stopped wearing glasses and switched to wearing contact lenses. It was a decision that, combined with bad luck and lack of information, finally made her lose sight in her right eye years later. When Ekkeshi woke up with the tears flowing from her right...